A young man, ex-military, dressed in black, patrols the houses of the town at night. Struggling to make a living, he decided that he could make money protecting others. Knowing that anyone, and anything could be lurking in the night, he could use his skill from battle to protect the town members.
The job paid well, so well that the Mayor offered to pay him personally for protection, and so far, nobody he protected had been attacked. But one fateful night, seemingly so much like every other night he had experienced, would be his last.
It was 1:00 in the morning, and he was standing by the Mayor's house, listening and watching for any strange occurrences. Suddenly, he heard a bang - the door of the Mayor's house had been forced open. The Bodyguard sprinted into action. He turned the corner into the house, loaded his own gun, and yelled, “Freeze!” at the Mafioso bolting into the Mayor's study. The Mafioso had no choice: he turned around and unloaded his machine gun, fatally wounding the Bodyguard. But as the loyal guardsman crumpled in pain, he shot the Mafioso three times, killing him before he hit the floor.
The Bodyguard knew he would die, as there was no Doctor to be seen. But despite his fate, he had saved a fellow Town member from the Mafia. He had finally done his job. He closed his eyes, smiled wistfully, and passed into eternity. (credit)
Bulletproof Vest Edit
- If you target yourself, you will use your bulletproof vest, gaining a temporary Basic defense.
- Your vest does not act like a guard; you will not counterattack any attackers.
- If you use a bulletproof vest and get transported, you will instead guard the target you were transported with.
- If you are controlled or transported into yourself, you will not use your bulletproof vest.
- You will receive a message stating: "You were attacked but your bulletproof vest saved you!" if you successfully vest on the night that you are attacked.
Protection - Counterattack Edit
- You can protect your target from one attack during the night and counterattack their attacker. You will die if this happens. If multiple killers attack your target, you will die and kill one, but the other will survive and attack your target. Your target can still be protected by other Town Protective roles.
- You will counter an attack made by a Vigilante, Vampire Hunter, Godfather, Mafioso, Vampire, Necromancer's ghoul, Coven Leader (with the Necronomicon), Potion Master, Medusa, Poisoner, Pestilence, a Pirate who wins their duel, and any Neutral Killing except for Arsonist.
- If your target is attacked by the Necromancer's ghoul, the Necromancer will receive a notification that a Bodyguard countered their ghoul. However, the Bodyguard will be killed protecting their target while the Necromancer will live.
- The Coven Leader will only attack with a Necronomicon, so you will not protect your target from being controlled on the first two nights.
- Pestilence will not be killed by your counterattack.
- Jailor executions, Veteran attacks, Town Protectives, and Hex Masters will not be countered by you.
- If you guard an Escort, Consort, or Pirate that has roleblocked a Serial Killer or Werewolf on a full moon, you will save your target and kill the Serial Killer or Werewolf as it is a forced but direct attack.
- If you guard the Jailor and they jail the Serial Killer or the Werewolf on a full moon but they do not execute them, you will kill the Serial Killer and save the Jailor. The Powerful defense given in jail will not protect them from a Bodyguard's attack.
- If there are multiple Bodyguards protecting the same target, the Bodyguard who joined the lobby first will counterattack. If there are multiple attackers, each Bodyguard will take out a separate attacker.
- A Bodyguard cannot save another Bodyguard who is dying to save their target.
Why Did My Target Still Die? Edit
- You will not be able to protect your target in the following situations:
- The target was killed by the Veteran or the Jailor.
- The target was another Bodyguard who died in a counterattack (you cannot save them from this).
- The target committed suicide (by leaving the game), being haunted by the Jester, or over guilt as a Vigilante.
- The target was jailed by the Jailor.
- Multiple killing roles attacked the target (you counterattack only one of them, so your target died).
- If none of the above apply, yet your target still dies, at least one of the following may have occurred:
- A Doctor, Crusader, Potion Master or a Guardian Angel can prevent you or the attacker from dying.
- Being healed while counterattacking does not allow you to counter more than one attack on your target.
- If the Werewolf attacks your target directly, you will attack the Werewolf but only save your own target from death.
- As of Version 2.3.2, a Bodyguard cannot stop an Arsonist from dousing. Bodyguards are unable to save a player from being doused or ignited.
- The Bodyguard's counterattack pierces through Basic defense when someone attacks the person you guard at night. With this in mind, a Bodyguard can be critical in taking down a Serial Killer, Godfather, or Werewolf.
- If you are attacked but your bullet-proof vest saved you, do not publicly announce it because you will most likely be attacked the next night and there might not be a Doctor or a Lookout to be on you. Announce it to confirmed Townies via whispers and try to act like an Executioner or a Neutral Killing role to avoid being targeted again.
- The Bodyguard is unlike the Crusader (it will only counterattack attackers, not visitors in general). Therefore, you should guard every night.
- The Mayor is your priority (especially in a Coven game, as there are no other Town Protective roles). After being revealed, they cannot be healed by Doctors and are extremely dangerous to killing roles, making them a primary target. Keep in mind evil roles may try to kill you first, then target the Mayor.
- If the Mafia seems to be attacking people with certain names, try protecting a player with a similar name.
- Likewise, if the Mafia are attacking in a pattern, protect a player who would be next on their hit list.
- Other roles that are usually attacked if known are the Jailor and confirmed Town Investigative roles.
- The defense you give your target blocks Pestilence's attacks, which can be used to stall someone's death. This does not kill the Pestilence.
- In All Any, you can claim to be a Survivor on Day 1, use your bulletproof vest the same night, and then secretly guard others. This allows for you to secretly protect others while not being a target yourself.
- If you have no leads (this applies especially on day 2), guard the first person who talks that day. Since evil roles tend to be quiet, the person you guard will most likely be a Townie.
- Remember that you will become the priority of most killing roles if you are revealed, since you can kill them. Having a Jailor, Doctor, a Lookout or even another Bodyguard help you is a wise idea.
- Since a Werewolf and an Arsonist can go through your bulletproof vest and are at the top of your priority list, try the best you can to get them hanged.
- If a Retributionist revived someone, the revived person is more likely to be attacked, since they're a confirmed Townie. Because of this, you have more reasons to protect them. Another good thing is that you can be sure that Vigilantes won't shoot them unless a Witch, Coven Leader or Transporter interferes, making it nearly impossible to kill a fellow Townie. Although, Mafia won't always have the guts to attack them, so you can protect someone else.
- Finding and protecting other Town Protectives while they guard you can prove very useful later on. If any killing roles attack your target, you will take them down. If the person you protect is a Doctor or Crusader, you can repeatedly protect each other no matter what you are attacked by.
- If you protect a player that was killed by a rampage attack, but they show up as a non-visiting role (such as a Medium), then that player was a Disguiser who was killed while disguising as a target.
- It is better to prioritize trying to kill roles with defense such as Serial Killer, since a Bodyguard killing a Mafioso is the equivalent to the Mafioso shooting the Bodyguard and the Bodyguard being a Vigilante shooting the Mafioso. Taking advantage that the Bodyguard deals Powerful attacks is a good idea.
- Another useful strategy is getting a Doctor to heal you while you protect them. This way, if you die protecting the Doctor, you will live (as they healed you). This keeps both of you alive for a nearly unbreakable chain, however, an Escort, Consort, or Pirate can break the chain, and the chain can be broken if two attackers attack the Doctor, as you only can save them from one attack.
- Prior to Version 2.3.2, Bodyguards were able to defend from and kill an Arsonist visiting their target.
- There used to be a bug where the Werewolf would not be counter-attacked by a Bodyguard whilst jailed on a Full Moon.