|This page describes content that can only be accessed in the Coven Expansion.|
The Coven are a faction exclusive to the Coven Expansion add-on. Being a diverse set of multiple roles, all members of the Coven specialize in witchcraft in any way possible and have the possibility to kill anyone they desire. Knowing who their teammates are similar to the Mafia, they can single-handedly take out four or more innocent Townies in one Night alone, a devastating blow. They can discover the roles of their rivals and their allies, and can easily wipe out a whole Town in Days if left unchecked.
Unlike the Mafia, the Coven focus more directly on killing and prohibiting their targets rather than deception. Only a few roles and the Necronomicon can keep the Coven safe from any Town Investigative or Town Protective roles, or simply being lynched themselves by the more probable Town majority. Thus, the Coven need to kill off targets quickly, but that may create desperation for those who oppose them.
Despite their massive killing power and abilities, they all can get pinned down equally by multiple roles, killing or blocking alike. Only a few Coven roles can bypass the lure of an Escort, Consort, or even a swashbuckling Pirate, or avoid being killed by any means necessary. The Necronomicon is simply a help to the Coven; if they are discovered, they most likely won't survive the Night.
For the Coven to emerge victorious, they must avoid detection and kill those who pose the biggest threats to them. The Town's unity within themselves will try and weed out the identities of the Coven, while the Mafia would much rather put their efforts driving attention directly to them and using the support of the Town to burn them at the stake. If needed, the Mafia certainly would not refrain from using "normal means" instead and murdering each member one-by-one. The Neutral Killing roles, while minimal, can be toys to play with but would otherwise demolish the Coven if given the opportunity. The Pirate and Pestilence are less of this, and rather a large nuisance, since these roles would much rather use the Coven as target practice than serving an outside use.
As such, the Coven must prioritize who must be killed and who can be spared, as given enough time, their enemies will grow in number and certainty, and will waste no time in destroying their alliance.
List of Coven roles
|Role Name||Role Alignment/Category||Role Description|
|Coven Leader||Coven Evil||You may choose to control a player and use their ability on another player.
With the Necronomicon, your first target is dealt a Basic Attack, and you also gain Basic Defense.
|Hex Master||Coven Evil||You may choose to hex a player each Night. If all non-Coven players left alive are Hexed, they will all be dealt an Unstoppable Attack.
With the Necronomicon, your hexes become Astral and you deal a Basic Attack to a player you hex.
|Medusa||Coven Evil||You may choose to Stone Gaze at Night, turning everyone who visits you to stone, erasing their role and Last Will. You can only Stone Gaze 3 times.
With the Necronomicon, you can now visit players to turn them to stone.
|Necromancer||Coven Evil||You may reanimate a dead player and use their ability on another living player. A dead player can only be reanimated once.
With the Necronomicon, you may summon a ghoul to deal a Basic Attack against your target by selecting yourself as your first target.
|Poisoner||Coven Evil||You may choose to Poison a player each Night. Poison kills the targeted player after a one Day delay. Poison may only be cured by a Doctor, Potion Master or Guardian Angel.|
|Potion Master||Coven Evil||You may choose to use a healing potion, a revealing potion, or an attacking potion each Night. Each potion has a 3-Day cooldown.
With the Necronomicon, your potions no longer have cooldowns.
The Coven will receive the Necronomicon on Night 3, increasing the strength of the person who obtains it. The Coven Leader will always receive it first; if they are not alive or one does not exist, it is given to another member of the Coven randomly. However, if the Coven Leader dies and an Amnesiac remembers the role of the Coven Leader, then they will inherit the Necronomicon once the member who currently possesses it dies. Whoever has the Necronomicon becomes Detection Immune to the Sheriff, but the Sheriff can still find other members of the Coven.
Dealing with The Coven
- Coven Leaders usually claim Lookout, so be very careful with Lookout claims. If someone claims controlled and a Lookout will has them visiting another player, it's possibly a Coven Leader faking genuine results.
- Hex Masters don't have any Town-based claim-space with their investigation results. Someone who may be claiming to be Framed or Hexed, or if they claim Jester, may be a Hex Master. Have a Vigilante or Jailor kill them, especially if they claim to be a Jester.
- Medusas commonly claim during the Day and focus around baiting people to visit them. If someone asks for any Town Protectives or if they claim Psychic, and multiple roles are Stoned the next Day, that person is more than likely the Medusa.
- Necromancers commonly claim Medium or Retributionist. Since they visit their reanimated target, a Tracker can quickly spot them as a Necromancer, and Spies can confirm their existence quickly.
- Poisoners usually claim Sheriff. In addition to this, their targets are often outspoken about being Poisoned. If you are a Lookout, unless you want to find out who the Doctor is, don't watch the Poisoned player, and watch someone who you believe it is in the best interest to Poison. Mayors are often the target of Poison.
- Potion Masters usually claim Doctor; however, they cannot heal for 2 Nights after healing (until they have the Necronomicon). If a Doctor claim suddenly stops healing Poisoned players for 2 Nights, or the Poisoner isn't active for 2 Nights, there's a Potion Master afoot.
Coven vs Mafia 1v1s
In all of these scenarios, a single remaining member of the Coven will usually have the Necronomicon and will be facing against either a Mafioso or the Godfather. What role the opposing factions have currently alive will determine who is granted a victory.
|Mafioso||Coven||Coven Leader controls Mafioso into themselves.|
|Godfather||Coven||Coven Leader wins against the Godfather in a stalemate.|
|Mafioso||Draw||Hex Master and Mafioso kill each other.|
|Godfather||Draw||Hex Master and Godfather kill each other.|
|Mafioso||Draw||Medusa and Mafioso kill each other.|
|Godfather||Draw||Medusa and Godfather kill each other.|
|Draw||Necromancer and Mafioso kill each other.|
|Coven||Necromancer kills Mafioso and protects themselves by using a Crusader or Bodyguard corpse.|
|Mafia||Godfather kills Necromancer.|
|Draw||Necromancer and Godfather kill each other.|
|Coven||Necromancer kills Godfather and protects themselves by using a Bodyguard corpse.|
|Draw||Poisoner and Mafioso kill each other.|
|Mafia||Mafioso shoots Poisoner.|
|Mafia||Godfather shoots Poisoner.|
|Draw||Potion Master and Mafioso kill each other.|
|Mafia||Godfather shoots Potion Master.|
- The Coven is the only faction without a roleblocker.
- All Coven roles are unique roles.
- The Coven Leader is the only role that replaces another role in the Coven Expansion.
- Similar to the Mafia, all Coven members will die when bitten by a Vampire.
- In the Public Test Realm, there used to be a now-scrapped Coven Support alignment. Most notably, the only known role to fit in this alignment was the Potion Master.
- The Coven is the only faction not available in Classic. It can be accessed through the Coven Expansion.
- Since the Coven is very similar to Mafia, refer to the Mafia page for some strategies to adopt into your own strategies.