|This page describes content that can only be accessed in the Coven Expansion.|
I've always had... strange powers. I've never known why. Ever since I could remember, maybe my mom dropped me as a child or something, but I've always had something... "quirky" about me. When I was a child, odd little quirks would occur. Like things falling from where they were hung, ancient chanting faintly whispered. Things you, couldn't explain.
Although the one thing that had always been known, and never changed. My eyes were very alluring. I could control things, see into their thoughts, get them to do whatever I wanted. I was like a ghost. A ghost who could watch your every move, grinning behind you, making you do things against your will. I guess it didn’t help with how mischievous I was all the time. Pulling pranks, stirring up dark things. Then, I snapped though. Something… changed. I went into a much darker tone, more analytical, and more… sinister.
Perhaps it’s when I met a woman in the streets, selling items that swirled in a glass vial, then being rejected. Perhaps it’s when I saw a young girl, being attacked, to only turn the attackers to stone. Perhaps, it was when I saw a man poison his lover in cold blood. Maybe it was when I saw a dark shadow slowly bring the dead to life, to use to kill a man. Or maybe it was when I was struggling to even live. Whatever might have been the trigger, that’s when my life turned to what I do now. Controlling people. At first, it was only to live, to strive. Then, it became an addiction, as I used it for more sadistic use...
Perhaps that was the turning point. Finally, I decided to... stir something up. Those “rejects” I saw on the streets, scraping by like me. Maybe, just maybe, we could live together in comfort. Making everyone live like we did. So, I created the coven. Salem was always a troublesome place, so why not have some fun? ()
- The Coven Leader selects two people per Night. The first target is controlled and uses their night ability on the second target, just like the Witch. You will also see the role of the player you control, you will receive the same investigative results as a Consigliere, Potion Master and Witch.
- Like the Witch, the Coven Leader only visits their first target, not their second.
- With the Necronomicon, you obtain Basic Defense and can now deal a Basic Attack to your first target.
- Hence you can be killed by a Bodyguard, and if you trigger a trap placed by a Trapper, you will die.
- If you do not have the Necronomicon, you cannot be killed by a Bodyguard, and if you trigger a trap, you will not die (You'll die to a Crusader however).
- If the Coven Leader with the Necronomicon controls a Bodyguard to protect themselves, the Bodyguard and Coven Leader will kill each other.
- Your Basic Attack cannot kill the Godfather or the Neutral Killing roles, use this to your advantage and control them every night to kill for you.
- You will receive all feedback your target would have otherwise received. Your target will not receive their feedback.
- The Coven Leader is immune to role blocks, similar to the Witch.
- If an Amnesiac remembers the role of Coven Leader, they will not gain the Necronomicon if another Coven member possesses it. However, once that Coven member dies it will automatically go to the new Coven Leader.
- The Coven Leader is very similar to the Godfather (in being the faction leader and being able to force player visits), except you have Role Block Immunity, and only with the Necronomicon will you gain Basic Attack, Basic Defense, and Detection Immunity. Therefore, some Godfather strategies may work well with this role.
- You will always receive the Necronomicon first, even if other Coven members are alive.
|Coven Leader Results:|
|Your target is a trained protector. They must be a Bodyguard.|
|Your target is a divine protector. They must be a Crusader.|
|Your target is a professional surgeon. They must be a Doctor.|
|Your target is a beautiful person working for the town. They must be an Escort.|
|Your target gathers information about people. They must be an Investigator.|
|Your target detains people at night. They must be a Jailor.|
|Your target watches who visits people at night. They must be a Lookout.|
|Your target is the leader of the town. They must be the Mayor.|
|Your target speaks with the dead. They must be a Medium.|
|Your target has the sight. They must be a Psychic.|
|Your target wields mystical powers. They must be a Retributionist.|
|Your target is a protector of the town. They must be a Sheriff.|
|Your target secretly watches who someone visits. They must be a Spy.|
|Your target is a skilled in the art of tracking. They must be a Tracker.|
|Your target specializes in transportation. They must be a Transporter.|
|Your target is waiting for a big catch. They must be a Trapper.|
|Your target tracks Vampires. They must be a Vampire Hunter!|
|Your target is a paranoid war hero. They must be a Veteran.|
|Your target will bend the law to enact justice. They must be a Vigilante.|
|Your target lies in wait. They must be an Ambusher.|
|Your target uses information to silence people. They must be a Blackmailer.|
|Your target gathers information for the Mafia. They must be a Consigliere.|
|Your target is a beautiful person working for the Mafia. They must be a Consort.|
|Your target makes other people appear to be someone they're not. They must be a Disguiser.|
|Your target is good at forging documents. They must be a Forger.|
|Your target has a desire to deceive. They must be a Framer!|
|Your target is the leader of the Mafia. They must be the Godfather.|
|Your target is skilled at disrupting others. They must be a Hypnotist.|
|Your target cleans up dead bodies. They must be a Janitor.|
|Your target does the Godfather's dirty work. They must be a Mafioso.|
|Your target does not remember their role. They must be an Amnesiac.|
|Your target likes to watch things burn. They must be an Arsonist.|
|Your target wants someone to be lynched at any cost. They must be an Executioner.|
|Your target is watching over someone. They must be a Guardian Angel.|
|Your target wants to be lynched. They must be a Jester.|
|Your target gets more powerful with each kill. They must be a Juggernaut.|
|Your target reeks of disease. They must be Pestilence, Horseman of the Apocalypse.|
|Your target wants to plunder the town. They must be a Pirate.|
|Your target is a carrier of disease. They must be the Plaguebearer.|
|Your target wants to kill everyone. They must be a Serial Killer.|
|Your target simply wants to live. They must be a Survivor.|
|Your target drinks blood. They must be a Vampire!|
|Your target howls at the moon. They must be a Werewolf.|
|Your target leads the mystical. They must be the Coven Leader.|
|Your target is versed in the ways of hexes. They must be the Hex Master.|
|Your target has a gaze of stone. They must be Medusa.|
|Your target uses the deceased to do their dirty work. They must be the Necromancer.|
|Your target uses herbs and plants to kill their victims. They must be the Poisoner.|
|Your target works with alchemy. They must be a Potion Master.|
Controlling a target
- First target: The player who is controlled. The Coven Leader will visit them.
- If the Coven Leader's first target is roleblocked, then the control will have no effect, unless they are an Escort or Consort. If they are jailed, you are unable to control them, and unlike popular belief your target will not receive a message that someone has attempted to control them in jail.
- You cannot control any roles that are Control immune, such as a Transporter, Veteran, or Retributionist.
- If the Coven Leader's first target has no remaining uses for their ability, the control will have no effect. (e.g. A Janitor who has no cleanings left.)
- The Coven Leader will know the role of their first target.
- If you are transported, you can end controlling yourself (in this case, you will visit your second target), a Hex Master, or a Poisoner.
- If a player has left the game, they cannot be controlled by the Coven Leader. The Coven Leader will still see the player's role, however.
- Second target: The controlled player will use their Night ability on the second target if the control is successful.
Controlling a target - Effects on different roles
Second target: The controlled player will use their Night ability on the second target if the control is successful.
If Visit is , then a Lookout can see the first target visit the second target, even if the visit does nothing.
If Veteran is , then the first target can be controlled and can be attacked by visiting a Veteran who is on alert or Medusa who is gazing as the second target. (Visiting Pestilence applies the same way)
|Role||First target's action||Visit||Veteran||Werewolf|
|Vampire Hunter||Will check the second target. If second target is a Vampire, they will stake them.|
|Bodyguard||Will guard the second target.|
|Doctor||Will heal the second target.
If the second target is a revealed Mayor, they will visit but not heal the second target.
|Escort||Will roleblock the second target.|
|Lookout||Will watch over the second target. You will get their results.|
|Investigator||Will investigate the second target. You will get their results.|
|Sheriff||Will interrogate the second target. You will get their results.|
|Spy||Will bug the second target. You will get their results, and the Mafia and Coven visits.|
|Will be prevented from executing their jailee.
If second target is the jailee, the Jailor will execute them.
(with or without being revealed)
|Veteran||No effect. The Veteran will attack the Coven Leader should they be on alert.|
|Will shoot the second target, even on the first Night.|
|Crusader||Will protect the second target.|
|Trapper||Will trap the second target, if a trap is ready to be placed.|
|Tracker||Will track the second target. You will get their results.|
|Psychic||No effect. You will get their vision.|
(with a Mafioso)
|Will command the Mafioso to attack the second target.||1||1||1|
(with the Godfather)
|No effect. The Mafioso will still attack the Godfather's target and ignore the Coven Leader.||2||2||2|
|Will attack the second target.|
(with ability uses)
|Will forge the second target if the second target is killed. Costs one use of ability, even if target did not die.|
(with ability uses)
|Will clean second target if the second target is killed. Costs one use of ability even if target did not die.|
(0 ability uses)
|Disguiser||Your second target becomes their first target. Their second target stays the same.||5||5||5|
|Framer||Will Frame the second target.|
|Consigliere||Will learn the role of the second target. You will get their results.|
|Blackmailer||Will blackmail the second target.|
|Consort||Will roleblock the second target.|
|Ambusher||Will set up an ambush at the second target.|
|Hypnotist||Will hypnotize the second target with whatever message was chosen. If no message was chosen, no effect.|
|Arsonist||Will Douse the second target and the Coven Leader.
If second target is themselves, they will Douse themselves instead of igniting.
|Serial Killer||Will attack the second target.|
|Amnesiac||Will visit the second target, cannot remember a role.
If the Amnesiac is controlled onto themselves, they will instead remember being an Amnesiac.
(on a Night they can bite)
|Will ignore votes and will bite the second target. The youngest Vampire will always visit no matter which Vampire is controlled.|
(after a conversion)
|Will Rampage at the second target's house.||4|
|Will visit the second target.|
|Coven Leader||Will visit their second target.|
|Will stone gaze the second target.|
|Hex Master||Will Hex the second target.|
|Potion Master||No effect.|
|Poisoner||Will Poison the second target.|
(No matter who has been targeted)
|Will be forced to protect their target, if they have any protections.|
|Juggernaut||If the Juggernaut has no kills on a non-Full Moon Night, they will visit the second target.
If it is a Full Moon, or the Juggernaut has one kill on any Night, the Juggernaut will attack the second target.
If the Juggernaut has two kills, they will Rampage at the second target's house.
|Plaguebearer||Will Infect the second target and the Coven Leader.|
|Pestilence||No effect. The Pestilence will attack the Coven Leader along with their intended target.|
1 Note: The Godfather will not be detected by a Lookout or forced to visit a Veteran or Werewolf, but his Mafioso can be, assuming the Mafioso is not role blocked. If the Mafioso is role blocked, the Godfather can be detected by a Lookout and die to a Veteran or Werewolf.
2 Note: If the Godfather is not role blocked, the Mafioso will not visit the second target. If the Godfather is role blocked, the Coven Leader will be able to control the Mafioso. The Mafioso can be detected by a Lookout and die to a Veteran or Werewolf.
3 Note: If the youngest Vampire is controlled, the youngest Vampire can be detected by a Lookout and die to the Werewolf. If any of the other alive Vampires are controlled, none of the Vampires will be detected by the Lookout or die to a Veteran or Werewolf.
4 Note: The Werewolf will stay home and attack himself, but he will not die. He will see that he has attacked at least two people which would be the Coven Leader and the Werewolf himself.
5 Note: Similar to the Witch, the Disguiser can be controlled into disguising the second target. However, he cannot be controlled into disguising someone as the second target. If the Disguiser did not choose 2 targets (or was role blocked), the control will have no effect.
- Claim to be an Investigator to the Town and look up possible results as you know the true role of your first target. Be careful as smart townies may be able to piece together the fact that they were controlled when you investigated them.
- It is advised to not claim Sheriff. Sheriff is thought of as a Coven Leader meta claim and is less convincing than Investigator, as it is easier to fake.
- When claiming Investigator, it is thought that you may consider switching the order of them around, for example, if you figure out someone's role later on you can put that as your result for earlier.
- Take advantage of killing roles. If one is revealed, forcing them to kill another Townie, such as a revealed Mayor, will be sure to anger the Town and may help your team win. Make sure that they are not a Veteran though, as claiming roles like Vigilante is a common strategy. However, the fact that there's a Coven Leader in game might make it harder to control Vigilantes in particular (i.e Jailor on, Escort role blocking them or Transporter transporting them).
- If you know who the Jailor is jailing, you can force them to execute their target by controlling the Jailor to target the person in jail. This can be devastating if the jailed target is an important Town role, particularly the revealed Mayor.
- Remember though, that it could be very hard to actually manage this.
- This also works the other way around; if you do not want the Jailor to to execute someone, such as one of your Coven buddies, you can force them to target themselves, and they will not be executed.
- Do be warned that when you have the Necronomicon, you will attack the Jailor as well as control them, this puts you at risk of dying to a Bodyguard or a Trap. However, you can just have a Potion Master heal you or a Necromancer use a Doctor or Crusader corpse on you while potentially having a Bodyguard die or waste a Trap.
- Controlling a Town Protective such as a Doctor to make them protect other Coven members or yourself could benefit your team. That isn't to say your Necronomicon could kill the Doctor or a Medusa may accidentally use their stone gaze to kill him. Bear in mind that the Town Protective could also easily claim that they were controlled by a Coven Leader as well, so only use this when the Town Protective is silent.
- Claiming Tracker and saying who your controlled targets visit is a semi-viable strategy. You could also claim Lookout and claim to watch the person you controlled your first target onto. Note that Lookout is the only Town role in your investigative result and people may be fast to call you out as a Coven Leader, especially since you 'know' about the visit that you controlled.
- You may control a target to visit Medusa. Not only you will learn the victim's role, but also stone the target. This tactic is more effective against the Town Protective and Town Investigative roles, as their Last Wills will become useless without a Medium and they prevent the Retributionist from using the corpses (Do note that the Necromancer is also prevented from using the corpses). It is also much better if the role isn't revealed yet to the Town, in order to have more claim space for other roles.
- Be careful if you control Vigilantes (or other direct killing roles like the Serial Killer) as they would kill/harm the Medusa.
- This is still useful even if you have the Necronomicon, as you can clear the Last Wills and open up claim space for the Coven, or to kill a bothersome Arsonist or Plaguebearer.
- Remember that you can also have the Medusa save their Stone Gazes for a later time if needed.
- You can control targets to visit Pestilence, Veterans, and Werewolves staying home, which all have alert-based mechanics and will kill your target. However, they will still have their Last Will also, their role will be visible.
- You can also control targets to visit the targets of a Crusader, an Ambusher, any role that rampages or (if said role is an attacking role) a Bodyguard or Trapper.
- You should only do this before the Coven receives the Necronomicon, as the Coven Leader kills become somewhat redundant if they are killed by a Veteran or similar role (unless they have Basic Defense).
- If you think you or another Coven member is set to die at Night (or they left the game), controlling a Coven-known Amnesiac into you or another Coven member can force them to join your faction and replace lost Coven numbers. If you have the Necronomicon, you will need to have a Potion Master heal them or a Necromancer use a Doctor/Crusader corpse on them to prevent you from killing them accidentally.
- A Coven Leader works like the Witch, so think like you are the Witch from Classic when it comes to writing wills, making claims, etc. However, keep in mind that unlike the Witch, you deal a Basic Attack to those who you control when taking the Necronomicon and you house permanent Basic Defense. You are also allied with teammates, therefore you should be wary about what judgment to make, no longer being alone.
- Unlike the Witch, you generally want to control evil killers alongside any Vigilantes whenever you find them in order to keep them from killing other Coven.
- If you suspect someone as being a Juggernaut before they have racked up 2 kills, you can control them into themselves; since a Juggernaut has a higher attack value than their defense value and cannot rampage yet, you will kill them unharmed.
- You can also do this at any point even if they can rampage now, but it will kill you unless you are healed (if the Juggernaut has 3 kills, not even healing will save you).
- The Coven Leader replaces the Witch in the Coven Expansion because they perform the same Night Ability.
- The Coven Leader is the only Coven role to have Basic Defense, similar to the Godfather. However, the Coven Leader only gains this when they have the Necronomicon.
- The Coven Leader is one of two guaranteed Coven roles in Coven Ranked and Coven Ranked Practice, the other being the Medusa.
- The Coven Leader is the only Coven role that does not have an entirely new ability, excluding the Potion Master which combined three existing abilities.
- There was a bug where the Coven Leader was unable to control a Vigilante to shoot someone on Night 1.
- Fixed an accidental nerf to the Coven Leader that resulted from the secondary targeting changes, whereby they could not make their target target themselves.
- Coven Leader now uses in-place secondary targeting rather than a slide-out secondary menu.
- Coven Leader can now receive messages from their target (e.g. controlling a Sheriff and finding someone as "suspicious").
- Temporary Defense given by certain roles through game mechanics now give attackers the message "Your target's defense was too strong to kill.".
- Fixed Guardian Angel "target was attacked" feedback.