I've always had... strange powers. I've never known why. Ever since I could remember, maybe my mom dropped me as a child or something, but I've always had something... "quirky" about me. When I was a child, odd little quirks would occur. Like things falling from where they were hung, ancient chanting faintly whispered. Things you, couldn't explain.
Although the one thing that had always been known, and never changed. My eyes were very alluring. I could control things, see into their thoughts, get them to do whatever I wanted. I was like a ghost. A ghost who could watch your every move, grinning behind you, making you do things against your will. I guess it didn’t help with how mischievous I was all the time. Pulling pranks, stirring up dark things. Then, I snapped though. Something… changed. I went into a much darker tone, more analytical, and more… sinister.
Perhaps it’s when I met a woman in the streets, selling items that swirled in a glass vial, then being rejected. Perhaps it’s when I saw a young girl, being attacked, to only turn the attackers to stone. Perhaps, it was when I saw a man poison his lover in cold blood. Maybe it was when I saw a dark shadow slowly bring the dead to life, to use to kill a man. Or maybe it was when I was struggling to even live. Whatever might have been the trigger, that’s when my life turned to what I do now. Controlling people. At first, it was only to live, to strive. Then, it became an addiction, as I used it for more sadistic use...
Perhaps that was the turning point. Finally, I decided to... stir something up. Those “rejects” I saw on the streets, scraping by like me. Maybe, just maybe, we could live together in comfort. Making everyone live like we did. So, I created the coven. Salem was always a troublesome place, so why not have some fun?
- The Coven Leader selects two people per night. The first target is controlled and uses their night ability on the second target. You will also see the role of the player you control, you will receive the same investigative results as a Consigliere, Potion Master and Witch.
- Like the Witch, the Coven Leader only visits their first target, not their second.
- The Coven Leader is immune to role blocks, like the Witch.
- With the Necronomicon, you deal a Basic Attack to your first target only.
- Hence you can be killed by a Bodyguard, and if you trigger a trap placed by a Trapper, you will die.
- If you do not have the Necronomicon, you cannot be killed by a Bodyguard, and if you trigger a trap, you will not die.
- If the Coven Leader with the Necronomicon controls a Bodyguard to protect themselves, the Bodyguard and Coven Leader will kill each other.
- If an Amnesiac remembers the role of Coven Leader, they will not automatically gain the Necronomicon if another Coven member possesses it. However, once that Coven member dies it will automatically go to the new Coven Leader.
- The Coven Leader is very similar to a Godfather, except you control people's actions, and only with the Necronomicon will you deal a Basic Attack and gain Basic Defense. Therefore, some Godfather strategies may work well with this role.
- The death message when the death is announced is "He/She was drained by a Coven Leader."
Controlling a target - Effects on different roles Edit
If Visit is yes, then a Lookout can see the first target visit the second target, even if the visit does nothing.
If Veteran is yes, then the first target can be controlled and can be attacked by visiting a Veteran who is on alert or Medusa who is gazing as the second target. (Same concept to visiting Pestilence.)
|Role||First target's action||Visit||Veteran||Werewolf|
|Vampire Hunter||Will check the second target. If second target is a Vampire, they will stake them.||yes||yes||yes|
|Bodyguard||Will guard the second target.||yes||yes||yes|
|Doctor||Will heal the second target.||yes||yes||yes|
|Escort||Will roleblock the second target.||yes||yes||yes|
|Lookout||Will watch over the second target.||yes||yes||yes|
|Investigator||Will investigate the second target.||yes||yes||yes|
|Sheriff||Will interrogate the second target.||yes||yes||yes|
|Spy||Will bug the second target.||yes||yes||yes|
|Will be prevented from executing their jailee.
If second target is the jailee, the Jailor will instead execute them.
(with or without being revealed)
|Will visit the second target and will be prevented from reviving a Townie.||yes||no||yes|
|Transporter||Will visit the second target but original transportations will stay the same.||yes||yes||unknown|
|Will shoot the second target, even on the first night.||yes||yes||yes|
|Crusader||Will protect the second target.||yes||yes||yes|
|Trapper||Will trap the second target, if a trap is ready to be placed.||yes||yes||yes|
|Tracker||Will track the second target.||yes||yes||yes|
(with Mafioso who is not role blocked)
|Will command the Mafioso to attack the second target.||no1||no1||no1|
(with a Godfather)
|No effect, still attacks the target the Godfather chooses.||no2||no2||no2|
|Will attack the second target.||yes||yes||yes|
(with ability uses)
|Will forge the will of the second target if the second target is killed.
If the Forger had planned to forge someone else, their will replaces the new forged target, otherwise, the will is removed.
(0 ability uses)
(with ability uses)
|Will clean second target if the second target is killed.||yes||yes||yes|
(0 ability uses)
|Disguiser||Will disguise themselves as the second target.||yes||yes||yes|
|Framer||Will frame the second target.||yes||yes||yes|
|Consigliere||Will learn the role of the second target.||yes||yes||yes|
|Blackmailer||Will blackmail the second target.||yes||yes||yes|
|Consort||Will roleblock the second target.||yes||yes||yes|
|Ambusher||Will set up an ambush at the second target.||yes||yes||yes|
|Hypnotist||Will hypnotise the second target with whatever message was chosen. If no message was chosen, no effect.||yes||yes||yes|
|Arsonist||Will douse the second target.
If second target is themselves, they will douse themselves.
|Serial Killer||Will attack the second target.||yes||yes||yes|
|Amnesiac||Will visit the second target, cannot remember a role.||yes||no||yes|
(on a night they can bite)
|Will ignore votes and will bite the second target. The youngest Vampire will always visit no matter which Vampire is controlled.||yes||yes||yes|
(after a conversion)
|Will Rampage at the second target's house.||yes||yes||yes4|
|Coven Leader||Will visit their second target.||yes||yes||yes|
|Hex Master||Will hex the second target.||yes||yes||yes|
|Potion Master||No effect.||no||no||no|
|Poisoner||Will poison the second target.||yes||yes||yes|
(No matter who has been targeted)
|Will be forced to protect their target, if they have any protections.||no||no||no|
|Juggernaut||If the Juggernaut has no kills, they will visit the second target.
If the Juggernaut has one kill, they will attack the second target.
If the Juggernaut has three kills, they will Rampage at the second target's house.
|Plaguebearer||Will infect the second target and the Coven Leader.||yes||yes||yes|
|Pestilence||No effect. The Pestilence will attack the Coven Leader.||no||no||no|
1 Note: The Godfather will not be detected by a Lookout or forced to visit a Veteran or Werewolf, but his Mafioso can be, assuming the Mafioso is not role blocked. If the Mafioso is role blocked, the Godfather can be detected by a Lookout and die to a Veteran or Werewolf.
2 Note: If the Godfather is not role blocked, the Mafioso will not visit the second target. If the Godfather is role blocked, the Coven Leader will be able to control the Mafioso. The Mafioso can be detected by a Lookout and die to a Veteran or Werewolf.
3 Note: If the youngest Vampire is controlled, the youngest Vampire can be detected by a Lookout and die to the Werewolf. If any of the other alive Vampires are controlled, none of the Vampires will be detected by the Lookout or die to a Veteran or Werewolf.
4 Note: The Werewolf will stay home and attack himself, but he will not die. He will see that he has attacked at least two people which would be the Coven Leader and the Werewolf himself.
- Claim to be an Investigator to the Town and look up possible results as you know the true role of your first target. Be careful as smart townies may be able to piece together the fact that they were controlled when you investigated them.
- It is advised to not claim Sheriff. Sheriff is thought of as a Coven Leader meta claim and is less convincing than Investigator, as it is easier to fake.
- When claiming Investigator, it is thought that you may consider switching the order of them around, for example, if you figure out someone's role later on you can put that as your result for earlier.
- Controlling a Town Protective such as a Doctor to make them protect other Coven members or yourself could benefit your team. That isn't to say your Necronomicon could kill the Doctor or a Medusa may accidentally use their stone gaze to kill him. Bear in mind that the Town Protective could also easily claim that they were controlled by a Coven Leader as well, so only use this when the Town Protective is silent.
- Claiming Tracker and saying who your controlled targets visit is a semi-viable strategy. You could also claim Lookout and claim to watch the person you controlled your first target onto. Note that Lookout is the only Town role in your investigative result and people may be fast to call you out as a Coven Leader, especially since you 'know' about the visit that you controlled.
- You may control a target to visit Medusa. Not only you will learn the victim's role, but stone the target on purpose. Controlling a confirmed visiting role will be nice. This tactic is more effective against the Town Protective and Town Investigative roles. Their Last Wills will be useless and they prevent the Retributionist to revive the victims. It is also much better if the role isn't revealed yet to the Town, in order to have more claim space for other roles.
- Be careful if you control Vigilantes (or otherwise killing roles or roles that can cause harmful visits) as it would kill/harm the Medusa. Also bear in mind that this is only really useful up until the receiving of the Necronomicon, as the kills become redundant once you can attack the first target.
- You can control targets to visit Pestilence, Veterans and Werewolves staying home, which all have alert-based mechanics and will kill your target. However, they will still have their Last Will, their role will be visible, and they can be revived if they are a Town member.
- A Coven Leader works the same way as the Witch, so think like you are the Witch from Classic when it comes to writing wills, making claims, etc. However, keep in mind that unlike the Witch, you kill those who you control when taking the Necronomicon and you house permanent Basic Defense. You are also allied with teammates, therefore you should be wary about what judgment to make, no longer being alone.
- Unlike the Witch, you generally want to control enemy killers whenever you find them in order to keep them from killing other Coven.
- You could also puppeteer the killing role as they are perfectly under your control, and is an easy way to gain kills.
- The Coven Leader replaces the Witch in the Coven DLC because they perform the same Night Ability.
- The Coven Leader is the only Coven role to have Basic Defense, similar to the Godfather, leader of the Mafia. However, the Coven Leader only gains this when she has the Necronomicon.
- The Coven Leader is one of two guaranteed Coven roles in Ranked, the other being Medusa.
- The Coven Leader is the only Coven role that does not have an entirely new ability, excluding the Potion Master which combined three existing abilities.
- There was a bug where the Coven Leader was unable to control a Vigilante to shoot someone on Night 1.