Until a few nights ago, the Crusader was always willing to sacrifice his life for that of another townie. It was a noble deed, and it was the Bodyguard's job. But one night, while on guard, it occurred to him that if he just shot the visitor before they attacked, he could protect whomever he was supposed to protect, and live!
So the Crusader stood, daring anyone to try and attack this house. He was on a mission, not just to protect the owner of this house, but to get rid of all evil in this town. He would save the town, and survive to become a celebrated hero at the end. As he began to think this night would be as uneventful as all the other nights, he heard soft footsteps.
Three clean shots stopped the serial killer’s reign of terror. As the Crusader kicked the body over, knives glinted in the moonlight.
Hearing gunshots from the home he planned to visit, the mafioso, lurking not too far away, turned back home. The Godfather would be angry, but a mad Godfather was better than a dead mafioso.
Morning came, and the joyful Crusader practically skipped to the town square where dead would be announced. As the townies woke up, they stared at each other, observing who was absent. The Mayor called for everyone’s attention as the Sheriff dragged a body out in the middle of the square. It was the serial killer, the one the Crusader had killed last night.
“This townie was killed by a Crusader last night,” the Sheriff stated. The townies pointed to a shabby house, identifying it as the dead person's house. The Sheriff and the Investigator entered the house. The Crusader tensed in anticipation. In a few seconds, they would announce that the serial killer was dead.
It was only when the Sheriff raised his head, his grim demeanor becoming visible, that the Crusader realized he had made a grave mistake. The Investigator held up a box of medicines for the town to see. As the Crusader heard the Investigator’s quietly uttered words, he fell to his knees in shock and horror.
“The doctor was killed last night.”
- You can choose someone to protect each night, granting them a temporary Powerful defense from all attacks. You will deal a Basic attack to one random visitor to your target, even if your target is not attacked.
- Unlike a Bodyguard or Doctor, the Crusader does not have any means to protect themselves, like the Trapper.
- If your target is attacked, the message "You were attacked but someone protected you!” will appear to them. You will receive the message "Your target was attacked last night!" The Trapper will trigger this message upon setting a trap.
- Your target will only receive a notification if they are attacked.
- You can protect someone who asks for a Crusader on them, but you shouldn't protect someone who asks for a Town Protective on them, unless all other Town Protective roles are dead. You may accidentally kill another Town Protective role. Be cautious, as people with the Medusa role often bait Town Protective and Town Investigative roles this way. If someone asks for Crusader on them, if the role list allows for multiple, you may want to claim so that you don't die that night to another Crusader.
- Protecting a confirmed Townie with little or no chance of a Lookout is often a good idea as there is little reason for another player besides an evil one to visit the said Townie. However, if another Town Protective visits the confirmed Townie, you will kill them.
- More often than not, you should not protect early in the game as there is a high chance of killing a fellow Townie. An exception would be if the majority of players are evil, such as in Coven Custom.
- If you are nearing the end of a game or evils have the majority, protect a player every night. You need evils to be dead at this point and they have a high chance of visiting your target. Make sure you're not out in the open, have another Town Protective on you.
- In a VIP mode game, protect the VIP every night. This way, you can prevent the VIP from dying. Players are often conscious that the VIP will be protected by a Crusader and would rather not visit him. Typically, the Crusader will openly claim on Day 1.
- If there are multiple Crusader claims, protect the VIP/each other in the order you claimed to prevent multiple Crusader deaths. First claim goes on the VIP, second claim goes on the first claim, etc.
- If there is another confirmed Crusader in the game, make sure never to have both of you protecting a target at the same time. Whisper to each other who you are going to protect. You both have the possibility of killing each other if both of you visit the same target!
- Watch out for people that might claim Crusader on Day 1 because they may be a Medusa trying to bait Town Protective roles.
- Be extremely cautious about protecting a Mayor early on, since it's very likely other Town will protect him as well. Make sure to communicate to your fellow Townies to decide who to protect.
- A Crusader can pair up with a Doctor or another Crusader to make both of you nearly invulnerable, in much the same way that a Doctor can pair up with a Bodyguard. You cannot maintain persistent invulnerability with a Bodyguard, since they'll die when they protect you, but it can still be a useful strategy to ensure that evils lose someone if they attack either of you; however, you should be cautious about visiting confirmed Bodyguards unless you're sure there's no Doctor, since you risk killing the Doctor and having a Doctor protecting them is a better choice. The only major threat to these combos are Arsonists, so make sure to rid of them first.
- Crusader is one of the few roles in the game that has RNG (Random Number Generation) based in it.