Gameplay of Town of Salem is split up into two primary phases, Day and Night. The Day is divided into several sub-phases: Discussion, Voting, Defense, Judgement, and Last Words. The Night phase contains a special function that modifies the abilities of some roles, deemed a Full Moon.
The town will only go through the Defense (and subsequent Judgement and Last Words phases) if someone is put on trial during the Voting phase, and will only go through the Last Words phase if said person is deemed guilty by the majority of players and lynched.
"Standard Modes" refers to all game types that are not Rapid Mode.
|Phase||Time in seconds
|Time in seconds|
|Day (Only on D1)||15||15|
- The total time of the Day phase in the standard game modes will range from 75 to 721 seconds (1 minute and 15 seconds to 12 minutes and 1 second), while it will range from 45 to 691 seconds (3/4 of a minute to 11 minutes and 31 seconds) in Rapid Mode. This is not counting the transitions between the Day phases and the transition into the Night phase.
- The Discussion phase in standard game modes lasts 45 seconds, while only lasting 15 seconds in Rapid Mode.
- This is the primary phase of all game modes, where the players get to discuss among themselves, reflecting on previous Days and Nights.
- The Voting phase lasts 30 seconds in all game modes.
- During this phase, players can vote for others to send to trial. Sending a person to trial requires a minimum majority vote based on the total players alive. For example, if there are 10 players alive, 6 votes are needed to send someone to trial. If there are 5 players alive, three votes are needed to send someone to trial.
- Players can be put on trial 3 times in a Day. After the third trial, the Day phase immediately ends, regardless of how much time is left.
- In Classic Custom, Coven Custom and Rapid Mode, Anonymous Voting may be enabled. This will hide which player voted a certain player.
- The Defense phase lasts 20 seconds in all game modes.
- The town will only go through this phase if a player is voted up to trial during the Voting phase.
- During this phase, the player in question gives a defense. Only this player can speak (with the exception that the town can whisper to each other).
- Blackmailed players may only say "I am blackmailed." once as their defense.
- Evil roles can use this as a last resort if they are not ready to claim a role.
- The Judgement phase lasts 20 seconds in all game modes.
The town will only go through this phase if a player is voted up to trial during the Voting phase.
During this phase, all players (besides the player voted up to trial) vote on whether or not the player is Guilty or Innocent. However, players don't have to vote, and in that case, can abstain from voting. Players must take notice that a Jester can haunt any player of that group who did not vote innocent.
- The Last Words phase lasts 7 seconds in all game modes.
- The town will only go through this phase if a player is voted up to trial during the Voting phase and is voted Guilty by majority vote during the Judgement phase.
- During this phase, the player in question can deliver a final statement to the town before being killed by their Death Animation. Only this player can speak.
- After the player is lynched (or killed another way depending on their Death Animation) their Last Will and role is shown, and other players may speak again. The Day phase then ends, and the game transitions into the Night phase.
- Note that spamming at any time during any phase is against the rules and could get you banned. Refer to this page for more info.
- The Night phase in standard game modes lasts 37 seconds, and only lasts 10 seconds in Rapid Mode. This is not counting the transition into the Day phase.
- During this phase, players who have a night ability are given an opportunity to use it, excluding roles who have passive night abilities (such as the Medium). Additionally, the Mafia, Coven, and Vampires may speak to each other, Mediums may speak with anyone in the graveyard or 1 alive player (if using seance), and the Jailor may speak with their prisoner.
- Every night in the game except for Night 1 and 3 will be a Full Moon Night.
- At this time, the Werewolf transforms into his beast form and can choose to rampage at any player's home, dealing a Powerful Attack to them and everyone who chooses to visit them. This can backfire if an Escort, Consort, Pirate or Jailor occupy their Night, in which case, the Werewolf will be forced to stay home and attack them.
- If there are few players left alive, it is ill-advised to visit any player during these Nights, as it may get you killed inadvertently.
- The Juggernaut can only attack during a Full Moon Night initially. After successfully killing someone, they will be able to attack every Night.