|Town of Salem - The Coven (DLC) currently has images that need to be updated. Please helpif you can.|
|This page describes content that can only be accessed in the Coven Expansion.|
On June 6th, 2017, The Coven Expansion was released. This expansion included 16 new roles (Plaguebearer and Pestilence counting as two), a new faction known as the Coven, and new rotating game modes.
In Version 3.3.0, the Hypnotist and Ambusher became available in Classic, leaving the Coven Expansion with 15 exclusive roles.
If you own the Coven Expansion, anyone in your friends list will know that you own the Coven Expansion, due to the red crescent moon around your status. You will also be able to see Coven Expansion roles when browsing the Role Library.
Please note that these roles cannot be played in the classic version of the game and may only be played in the Coven Expansion itself.
||Coven Evil||You may choose to control someone each night.|
||Coven Evil||You may choose to hex a player each night.|
||Coven Evil||You may choose to stone gaze all visitors at night.|
||Coven Evil||You may reanimate a dead player and use their ability on a player.|
||Coven Evil||You may choose to poison a player each night.|
||Coven Evil||You may choose to use a potion on a player each night.|
||Neutral Benign||Watch over your target at night to keep them alive.|
||Neutral Killing||You may choose to attack a player on Full Moon nights.|
||Neutral Chaos||Choose a player to plunder each night.|
||Neutral Chaos||You may choose to infect a player with the plague each night.|
||Neutral Chaos||You may choose to rampage at a player each night.|
||Town Protective||Protect one person during the night.|
||Town Investigative||Receive a vision every night.|
||Town Investigative||Track one person at night to see who they visit.|
||Town Protective||You may set up a trap at another player's house.|
Game Modes Added
- Main article: Game Modes - Coven
Coven Classic - Introduction to the Coven Expansion, including a similar role list to its Classic counterpart.
Coven Ranked - Competitive game mode. You must play at least 50 matches of any game mode and at least 10 Coven Ranked Practice matches before you can play this game mode.
Coven Custom - Here you can choose the role list you want to play with.
Coven All Any - A chaotic game mode where the entire role list is Any.
Lovers Mode - Most players are paired with a Lover. They can whisper to each other privately. The Lovers win with eachother, regardless of faction. If one of the Lovers dies, the other will die of a broken heart (except Pestilence).
Coven Town Traitor - One of the Townies is now a Coven member. They know who the Coven is and now must kill the Town. If the Traitor is the last Coven member alive, a countdown of 3 Days will start. During this time, if the Traitor is not found, the Coven will win automatically.
Purchasing the Coven Expansion
Players may purchase the expansion for $5.00 USD on Steam. Players must own the base game on Steam in order to be able to play the Coven Expansion. Once the player owns both and has logged into the Steam version of the game, the player will be able to freely play the Coven Expansion on Steam and also on the browser.
Players may purchase the Coven Expansion for $5.00 USD on for the browser version. Players must own Web Premium in order to be able to purchase and play the Coven Expansion.
How to purchase the browser version:
- Log into the game with the account you wish to own the expansion
- Enter the game's "Shop"
- Select the "ACCOUNT" tab
- Select "Info" for the Coven Expansion
- A menu will display "UPGRADE YOUR ACCOUNT"
- Under "WEB PREMIUM", select "MORE INFO"
- Select "WEB PREMIUM + COVEN EXPANSION", unless you already own Web Premium, in which you'd select "COVEN EXPANSION" instead
- You will be re-directed to a site with payment options
- Complete the payment
On October 14th, the Coven Expansion became playable on the mobile version. A bundle is purchasable and would reward the buyer with the Phone-ix pet.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I play with these roles if I don't own the expansion?
These new roles are only playable in the expansion and cannot be played with in the traditional (Classic) version of Town of Salem.
When do the rotating game modes switch out?
These game modes usually swap out every Tuesday at 10:00am CST. There may sometimes be a delay.
Why can I not enter a Coven Ranked match?
There are not enough players attempting to play Coven Ranked at the time you are playing.
Will players be able to try out the Coven for free?
|“||We might do free weekends at some point in the future but it wouldn't be a super regular occurrence.||”|
Dates of when the expansion has been free to try:
- February 16th-19th of 2018
- November 23rd-26th of 2018
- December 14th-17th of 2018
- January 25th-28th of 2019
- March 22nd-25th of 2019
- May 24th-27th of 2019
- February 21st-24th of 2020
- March 6th-9th of 2020
On the 29th of January, Coven Tickets were added to the game.
|“||Coven tickets have now been granted to all users who qualify.
Users get 3 Coven tickets per 25 games played up to a maximum of 250 games played.
Each Coven ticket allows for 1 free game of the Coven.
Tickets are consumed similar to scrolls in that they are only consumed when a game ends, thus in the event of a server restart or server crash your ticket won't be consumed.
This allows for one game of any Coven mode, and over 250 games will give a maximum of 30 tickets. Previously played game will count towards gaining Coven Tickets e.g. if you played 50 games, you will receive 6 Coven Tickets. Leaving a game that was entered with a Coven Ticket will use up your ticket.
Why isn't this expansion free?
|“||None of the Coven roles (meaning all 15 roles in the expansion) are going to be added to classic. Coven will have a ranked mode so you aren't going to be missing out on anything. I think there will be little reason to continue playing classic unless you want to remain F2P or you are playing with friends that don't own Coven. We are trying to move away from F2P (microtransactions) and focus more on a freemium model (free version and paid version). With a freemium model we can spend a majority of our focus on just creating the best play experience possible and hoping a decent percentage of users pickup the Coven. With F2P we were forced to spend too much of our focus on cosmetics, sales and analytics. If there is a positive reaction to the Coven (15-20% conversion would be awesome) you can expect to see a big shift. We will pull back on promotion popups and microtransaction systems. We would much rather be spending our time making a great game that is worth $10.
Another big change you can expect to see is in the player base. Banning toxic users and multi-accounters is an unwinnable battle in F2P unless you force new accounts to go through a boring early leveling experience which of course hurts your new user experience and retention. With a freemium model everything changes. Multi-accounters will have to pay $10 per account and then have all of them banned in one swoop. You won't see much of that in the Coven. Additionally toxic users are going to get suspended or banned and realize that they need to play nice or lose all of the value in their account and wallet. We already have plans in place to bring on more judges for the trial system and to prioritize Coven reports. We hope to suspend/ban toxic players within 24 hours or less. Word will quickly spread through the Coven community that your account won't last long if you aren't respectful of other players.
- On the 16th of May 2017, BlankMediaGames (BMG) made an announcement which told of the future expansion. On May 17th, the Public Test Realm (PTR) opened up, allowing users to freely test the expansion using the browser version of the game until June 6th of 2017.
- In the PTR, users had noticed a mystery role which BMG had announced earlier. This was to be a surprise. However, the community had noticed scrolls available in the shop for this mystery role, and quickly learned of its name, which is the Juggernaut. The Juggernaut scrolls were later removed from the shop, though players may still obtain these scrolls by purchasing a bundle which contains 3 of every scroll.
- On July 20th of 2017, the expansion was released for the browser version.
- On October 14th of 2018, the expansion was finally released for the mobile version.
- Prior to Version 3.3.0, the Ambusher and Hypnotist were Coven Expansion roles, but have since then escaped the expansion.
- The Witch is the only Classic role that is not playable in the Coven Expansion game modes. This is because the Coven Leader performs the same night ability as the Witch.
- Juggernaut was not announced originally when the expansion was announced. BlankMediaGames only announced the release of a secret role. The role was found out soon after by players who rolled it. Juggernaut is also the first and only role in the game that cannot be put onto a role list, but can only rolled by putting in Neutral Killing, Random Neutral or Any.